I left last week’s What’s on Tap! post off with some promises to find out more about some special tastings that are happening at The Brown Derby International Wine Center in June. One of those features my brother, Joe Stange, the Thirsty Pilgrim himself.
In case you missed last week’s post, Joe just published his second book about Belgian beer, The Good Beer Guide to Belgium, co-authored with Tim Webb. His first was Around Brussels in 80 Beers, co-authored with Yvan De Baets. It will be an interesting conversation with a guy who really loves Belgian beer.
Anyway, I did get some more details about this tasting. This will be Friday, June 27th from 4-7pm. Joe will be pouring and discussing some hand-selected Belgian beers and will have some signed copies of The Good Beer Guide to Belgium on hand. It’ll be a very good chance to chat about Belgian beer with a man who has made the study of Belgian beer his life for several years.
Some other highlights for the near future:
- Complementary Beer Tasting from 4-7pm at the Brown Derby Wine Center with Eric Carter. [EDIT] Springfield Brewing Company will be there, allowing you to taste their beer, and their Anniversary Stout will be on draft.
- Mother’s and Moxie Cinema Present Friday Flix in Mother’s Brewing Company’s Backyard. This month’s flick is Old School. Show starts around 8:30. It’s $5 to get in, 21 and older only, please. Bring your blankets, lawn chairs, and whatnot and come settle in for some wrestling in kiddie pools. I don’t know that it will happen, but it might. And Hormann meats will be selling their fare.
Friday, June 6th:
It’s First Friday, which means you’ll find all manner of art and beer-related fun in downtown Springfield.
- First Firkin Friday @ Mother’s Brewing Company – This month will feature a Grow Cukes not Nukes firkin with Honeydew in it. Big Pop’s Seafood will also be parked outside for your dining pleasure. Tasting room opens at 4, so get there early to ensure you’re in line when the firkin gets tapped.
- Mother’s Sandy tasting at Arts & Letters – Mother’s Brewing Company will be at Arts & Letters to support local art and offer you a chance to sample some Sandy from 7-9pm. While you’re there, check out some new work by Gary Bedell. Arts & Letters is located at 214 S Campbell in downtown Springfield.
Saturday, June 7th:
[EDIT] – Macadoodle’s Bark & Brew Fest – 12pm-3pm, Macadoodles is hosting a dog-friendly craft beer tasting to benefit Greyhound Pets of America – Springfield. Make sure your dog is on a leash, and $10 will get you in to sample beer, listen to live music, take your chance to win prizes, and nom on some vittles. 1455 E Independence. For more info, call (417) 883-9000.
Project B.A.B.E. (Big A$$ Beer Event) – Springfield Brewing Company is launching a new annual event to celebrate great beer, local artists, live music, and tasty food. The event will feature live music and local artists, as well as some kick-ass tacos and Benissimo Gelato. It’ll run from 2pm to 8pm in the SBC parking lot located on Market Street. Tickets are $5 each, kids 12 and under get in free. There may even be some cocktails featuring Missouri Spirits House.
Other odds and ends:
- White River Brewing Company is putting together a 12 person team for a float trip/river clean up on the James River. If you’re interested in participating, email email@example.com.
- Enterprise Park Lanes is currently hosting a Craft Beer Bowling League weekly. You can get more information about how you can bowl and drink great beer at the same time by phone at 417-883-0511 or by e-mailing Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org. The featured brewery for June is White River Brewing Company.
- White River Brewing Company is also kicking off a snapchat scavenger hunt that will be held the second to last week of June. The registration form should be up on their site next week. The event will be a photo scavenger hunt sponsored by the brewery. Details will be located on their website shortly.
That about does it for What’s on Tap! this week. If you have a craft-beer-related event you’d like featured, simply reach out to me via the Contact Us form, and I’ll make sure to get it posted for you.
Stay thirsty, Springfield.