Welcome to The Rundown. Each week, we’ll post new beer releases, special editions, and seasonals that you can find here in Springfield. If a beer has not yet been released, we’ll also let you know the release date when we can.
Springfield Brewing Company:
In addition to their four mainstays (11-Point Pilsner, Paul’s Pale Ale, Walnut Street Wheat, and Hop Lobster), they also have the following:
Day Pack (An Easy Drinking Ale) – I’ve not tried this yet, but SBC reports that it is “just right for hot summer days and backyard barbecues. Day Pack Ale is the perfect blend of flavor, restraint, balance, and drinkability.”
Bombay Brown – I love this beer. It’s a slightly different take on the modern IPA. It’s a darker color and the malts used stay away from the sweeter caramel flavors in order to focus on the more bready, toast-like aromas and flavors offered by brown malt. The brewery says it’s a bit like having citrus marmalade on melba toast. It’s a fair descriptor.
Bearded Guard – Bière de Garde is a style of beer traditionally brewed in Northern France, and is the cousin of the Belgian Saison. This farmhouse ale uses a yeast strain known for producing very nice peppery notes (think black pepper, not bell peppers), while also including some subtle clove-like aroma. The flavor is more bread-like, finishing with a slight fruitiness.
Brown Derby Wine Center:
Our friends down at the Wine Center have some great stuff available this week, as well. Here are a few highlights provided by Eric Carter:
- Boulevard Entwined Ale – It’s the first installment of what’s called their “Backroad Series”. Based on the concept of blending the arts of brewing and winemaking.
- Horny Goat Pineapple Hefeweizen & Watermelon Wheat cans – Whether you are mowing the lawn, running the wood chipper, or just relaxing while floating down the river, these Horny Goats will hit the spot.
- Odell Tree Shaker Peach Imperial IPA – A hop bomb brewed with fresh Colorado peaches.
- Odell Footprint Ale – Ale brewed with an ingredient from each state within their distribution footprint. Oak barrels were Missouri’s contribution.
- Free State Stormchaser Summer IPA – Brewed with generous amounts of Crystal, Centennial, and Citra hops for a bright and refreshing summer treat.
- Founders Devil Dancer – A triple IPA that boasts an ABV of 12%, 112 IBU and is dry hopped with 10 different varieties of hops. Is this what it’s like to dance with the devil? Probably.
Mother’s Brewing Company:
Doozy is out in four packs, and Sandy is out in six packs. If you haven’t had Sandy or don’t remember it, it’s a very nice hopped-up wheat beer with some serious grapefruit notes.
Here’s a list of what’s pouring in their tasting room right now (with some notes from Tim Ryan of Mother’s):
Grow Cukes, Not Nukes (Golden Farmhouse Ale infused with cucumbers)
High Plains Drifter (American Pale Ale)
Training Wheels (Session IPA)
Red Rover (Raspberry Golden Ale)
Chocolate Thunder (Porter) side note: We’ve discovered that this one is really good mixed with a Red Rover (1/2 & 1/2)
Thing 1 Rye Lager
Thing 2 Rye Saison
Sexual Healin’ (Nitro Stout)
You can also find their usual delicious fare, including Towhead, Li’l Helper, Three Blind Mice, Sandy, and Doozy in the tasting room, as well.
In the near future, you can expect to see Super Doozy come out in 22oz bombers in mid-June and D’Lila, the super hopped-up wheat, will come out in July.
White River Brewing Company:
Buck Hollow Blond is rolling out throughout SGF and Southwest Missouri right now. It’s a Belgian blonde ale with a Missouri twist.
Look for the release of Jam Up Blackberry Ale in the next month or so. Also, if you’re looking to do a vertical tasting, I know the Barrels store on South National still has a bottle or two on their shelf, as of this past weekend. They are moving the Jam Up release date up from Autumn to Summer this year.
Other Quick Hits:
- Santa Fe Freestyle Pilsner will be out this week.
- Abita Seersucker Pils – A new summer seasonal from Abita, this promises to be a very crisp, refreshing lager.
- Perennial Regalia – Perennial is delicious.
- Tallgrass Brewing Company has a new variety pack out in the area that includes their summer seasonal, Halcyon Wheat.
Happy Hour Live tonight will feature a Cathedral Square tasting at the University Plaza Hotel Lobby. I would include this in the What’s on Tap! segment tomorrow, but by then it will be TOO LATE!
Tune in Thursday for our What’s on Tap! feature about coming craft beer events in Southwest Missouri. If you have a Craft Beer Related event you’d like featured, please drop us a line through our Contact Us page.